SET UP YOUR PHONE
INTERNATIONAL DATA ROAMING TOP TIPS
International data costs can hit your travel budget hard. They increase when abroad and data provided with your monthly subscription plan does not include international data roaming especially when it comes to using a tablet. These top tips will help you control your data usage while travelling and avoid the shock of a large bill when you come home.
Leaving your comfort zone?
- GPRS/3G automatic and free service downloads in South Africa will be charged for while roaming (emails, weather updates, RSS feeds etc.).
- Twitter/Facebook/etc. will be charged for per MB downloaded while roaming, as per the foreign network charges.
For detailed information on our roaming policy and the cost of roaming in your destination click here.
DATA COST-SAVING TIPS
- Turn off your data services if you don’t want to use them overseas. See how to do this for your phone below.
- Make sure that none of your apps will override your data roaming settings and turn your data back on.
- Use Wi-Fi hotspots when available. Many airports and hotels have free Wi-Fi.
- If you do want to access the Internet or GPS outside of Wi-Fi hotspots, turn data roaming on only when you are using it.
- Switch off all free services that you subscribe to (BB, Email, News, Twitter, Facebook etc.).
- Download a data usage monitoring app. There are many available for BlackBerry, iPhone/iPad and Android.
TURNING OFF YOUR DATA SETTINGS
- Go to Menu > Manage Connections> Mobile Network Options>
- Ensure that Data Services ‘While Roaming’ is turned off or turn ALL DATA services off
Please note: BlackBerry Smartphone services are only free while in South Africa. They will be charged for while roaming. These include BBM (charged as per SMS), email (charged as data download) and any other special services.
Delete ALL APN Settings:
- Go to Settings> General> Network> Cellular Data Network>
- Delete the content from the APN field – press Network
- Turn off Data Roaming
- Turn off Cellular Data
Delete ALL APN Settings:
- Go to Menu > Settings> Wireless & Networks> Mobile Network>
- Open Access Point Names (APN)
- Open APN
- Go to Menu > Delete APN
- Repeat for all APNs
Do you have a different phone? Please look at your phone’s manual to see how to turn off data settings. If you’re still having trouble or you’d like more info call us on 140 and we’ll gladly help you out.
Cell C is a leading mobile provider in South Africa, which offers a wide range of products and services, including voice, data and messaging services to more than 19 million customers. Offering some of the best value in the market, Cell C prides itself on its innovative product offerings and services. This is supported by its highly advanced network, which the company constantly expands through its continued investment. Cell C is also the brand behind The Cell C Sharks and Miss South Africa.