HANGMAN CROWNS SOUTH AFRICA'S TOP INVENTOR WHO WALKS AWAY WITH R1 MILLION PRIZE IN CELL C REALITY SHOW
Klerksdorp's Christo Rossouw has escaped the noose and has been named the winner of Cell C's thrilling reality show Hangman walking away with R1-million prize money.
THE ULTIMATE SEARCH FOR SOUTH AFRICA'S GREATEST INNOVATORS IS ON
The finalists have been selected, and now stand the chance to win a R1 Million investment, together with everything else they need for success in the 21st century market.
It's now time for you, the viewer, to get involved and stand a chance to win a Bigboy Scooter, a VW Polo Vivo and weekly Cell C tablets with 100GB of data!
Simply tune in to watch Hangman on eTV every Sunday at 11:50am from Sunday 08 October to Sunday 10 December, and download the Cell C Reality app to engage with "The Exchange" to back your favourite contestant, in order to stand a chance of winning these amazing prizes!
Download the Cell C Reality app and stay up to date on our search.
WHAT IS HANGMAN?
It's a live, high-paced, high-stakes and unscripted innovation competition. The winner walks away with R1 million and a chance to change the market landscape.
A global first, the revolutionary new show immerses viewers in the reality of unscripted television.
Hangman is a search for SA's greatest innovator, in which viewers can help determine the outcome by investing in contestants via a virtual stock exchange or offering actual physical support.
The competing innovators attempt a series of gruelling challenges; but their fate is determined by more than performance alone. They must win the approval of 'Backers' - industry and investment captains with keen business acumen and very high standards. But that's not all. They need also impress our viewers, who act as investors pulling the purse-strings, via a virtual stock exchange.
The first fully interactive, unscripted television show, Hangman offers the opportunity to track Innovator performance and invest 'real time' via the Exchange on the Cell C Reality app. Viewers can get involved by helping contestants win their tasks on the app.
True grit, determination and prowess will determine the winner of the ultimate prize. Failure means facing the 'noose' of the Hangman.
Eligibility requirements for Contestants
- It is important that you understand and agree to these terms and conditions in order for you to participate in the Cell C Hangman Competition ("Hangman").
- All standard terms and conditions of Cell C (Pty) Limited and Cell C Service Provider Company (Pty) Limited apply to Hangman.
- Hangman is organised by Blink Pictures (PTY) Ltd registration number 2013/202846/07 ("Blink") and Cell C (Pty) Limited, registration number 1999/007722/07 ("Cell C").
- Hangman is open to Cell C and Non-Cell C subscribers. At the time of entering, all prospective contestants entering Hangman have to be either:
- A South African citizen who is, currently residing within the Republic of South Africa and who has a valid ID; or
- A non-South African citizen residing within the Republic of South Africa, provided that such individual is legally residing in the Republic of South Africa (and must provide Passport and Legal Work / Residency permit).
- All prospective contestants shall be 18 (eighteen) years or older on the day on which said contestant applies to be a contestant on Hangman.
- Customers can enter the competition or view the Hangman content by downloading the Cell C Reality App via Android or IOS.
- On downloading the application customers will receive 100 000 points to participate in "The Exchange".
- Cell C & Blink, their employees, officers, directors and agents and any of their respective licensees, assigns, parents, affiliated and subsidiary companies and immediate family (spouse, mother, father, sister, brother, daughter or son, regardless of where they live) or members of their households (whether related or not) of such employees, officers directors and agents are not eligible to be a contestant on.
- Prospective contestants can only apply once, with a maximum of three ideas per application and this must be done via the C Reality App.
- By applying for participation on Hangman, the contestant authorises Cell C and/or the producers to conduct civil, criminal, financial history and any other type of background checks that are deemed necessary.
- All applications and entries for Hangman will be assessed based upon the commercial potential and implementability of the innovation concept.
- Contestants who are shortlisted will be invited to further selection and casting sessions in major centres - 2 days at a major centre (Johannesburg; Port Elizabeth; Cape Town; Durban and Bloemfontein). Contestants are responsible for all associated travel and accommodation costs for attendance at the selected venue.
- In the event that a contestant is shortlisted they will then move to The Pitch session. Contestants will have to be available for filming on the dates communicated. Only flights and accommodation will be paid for and Contestants will have to get themselves to the airport from wherever they are coming. Airport shuttles to the venue will also be covered.
- If selected, all contestants must be available for all shoots, including but not limited to:
- The Pitch session in Johannesburg 21 - 25 August 2017
- Seven weeks of reality filming of the Hangman show in Johannesburg 21 October - 11 December 2017
- The Production team reserve the right to change these dates, which shall be communicated to contestants in advance.
- Contents must register a company for their idea/innovation. In the event that the contestant does not have a registered company at the time of submitting their application, they need to have one by latest 9 October 2017, in order for them to continue participating in Hangman. In the event that they do not have a registered company, they face elimination from Hangman.
- Blink undertakes to offer support through this process if required by the contestant.
- Contestants must own the IP of the product or service/idea/innovation that they are submitting as part of Hangman, and warrant/supply satisfactory proof thereof. Should a third party own the IP, then written consent/mandate/permission from such third party to use the IP and to enter Hangman is required.
- All contestants will be required to sign a Submission Release form.
- Cell C and Blink not responsible for the theft of an idea should that happen as the result of public broadcast.
- There is one all-encompassing task which contestants are expected to deliver on by the final episode of Hangman. Contestants will also receive weekly tasks during the Hangman period, to be performed either individually or as a team.
- The weekly tasks will be entrepreneurial tasks, to highlight their business abilities, adaptability and agility.
- As part of the weekly challenges, contestants can expect 'curveballs' i.e. adaptations / additions / changes to the challenge that they need to execute as part of the task.
- The 'toolkit' is a basic set of resources which they can use to complete their tasks.
- These will be communicated to the top 12 contestants closer to the time at the appropriate point in production and depending on the Tasks.
Rules for the Tasks
- In general, contestants can use whatever is available in their toolkit.
- Depending on the task, additional rules / restrictions may apply, and this will be conveyed to the contestant prior to the task.
- The public may support the contestants.
- In terms of public support, the contestants can only take up offers which were received within 24 hours of receiving the In addition, contestants can only take up one offer per week.
- Public participants will be vetted and approved by Blink.
- Community/viewer support cannot come in the form of money - they can offer services / products, but not monetary support.
- Community/public participants will undergo a vetting process and with also have to sign a participation agreement.
- The public can participate in the Hangman show in one of two ways:
- 'Virtual investment' on "The Exchange" via the C Reality app.
- Physical support in the execution of a task.
- Backers will take into consideration the contestant's performance on "The Exchange" in making their decisions.
- At the end of each show, the Backers will also make virtual investments depending on how well contestants executed their tasks.
- Performance on the "The Exchange" factors into the Backers decision, but the ultimate decision over who stays or goes, who the Backers support and how much they invest in them on the virtual Exchange, is at their discretion.
- All Participants/Traders on the Hangman Exchange are limited to only 1 (one) buy or sell of each company per day, to prevent market manipulation by those with a large amount of shares and Hangman credits.
- The Backers will decide, based on the strength of the pitches (in the initial 'Pitch' phase of the competition) which contestant will be eliminated. The decision of the Backers is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- In the Grill Phase of the competition, contestants will be expected to perform group tasks.
- The Backers will decide, based on performance in the task, which team loses that week. The decision of the Backers is final.
- The members of the losing team will have to vote off one of their team members.
- Twice during the competition, the Backers have the option of drawing a Wildcard and bringing someone, who was previously eliminated, back into the competition.
- The Grand Prize is R 1 000 000.00 (one million Rand only), and will be awarded to the contestant that wins the show on the 11 December 2017 to be spent on the further development of the winner's innovation/business.
- By accepting the prize, you agree that you will be responsible for the all costs, including any taxes, including donations tax, payable to the South African Revenue Services, as a result of you accepting the prize.
- The winner indemnifies Cell C, its directors, affiliates, members, partners, employees, agents, consultants, suppliers, contractors and sponsors against any loss or damages, either direct, indirect, consequential or otherwise, arising from their use of Hangman, the prizes and its benefits.
- There will be spot prizes throughout the competition/show and for participation in "The Exchange" where viewers/players will be able to win.
- Details on the prizes shall be updated to this T&Cs and will be communicated on the next update.
- Contestants are not allowed to disclose/discuss on any public/private platform the results of the weekly eliminated and final (which are pre-recorded) until after broadcast.
- Contestants cannot disclose a competitor's business model to a 3rd party outside of the competition. (The business interests and privacy of fellow contestants needs to be protected).
- Without prejudice to any rights which Blink may have in law, Cell C and Blink the right at its sole discretion to disqualify any contestant that it determines to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the program, to be found using material which is offensive, defamatory, amounting to hate speech, or illegal (including content which Cell C and Blink deem to be abusive, racist, pornographic and/or which promotes animal cruelty), or to be acting in breach or potential breach of these terms and conditions.
- Cell C and Blink reserve the right to alter and/or amend the rules of Hangman at their own discretion on notice to contestants. Such altered and/or amended rules shall become effective immediately or on such date as may be determined by Cell C and Blink. No contestant shall have any recourse against Cell C and Blink as a result of the alteration or amendment of the rules.
- Contestants undertake that they will not, at any stage, bring the Hangman show, its producers, the Backers or Cell C into disrepute.
- Any comments made on social media deemed as offensive, racist, incitement to violence or anything that Cell C or Blink deems to be inappropriate will have serious consequences, including but not limited to elimination from the Hangman show and/or criminal charges.
- Contestants cannot disclose any confidential information about Cell C, Blink productions - or any subsidiaries / friends / family pets etc. Or they can be held responsible for damages.
- All decisions made by Cell C and the producer pertaining to all aspects of the program shall be final.
- Cell C & Blink Pictures (PTY) Ltd, their employees, officers, directors and agents and any of their respective licensees, assigns, parents, affiliated and subsidiary companies will not be held liable for any unlawful acts committed by any contestants on Hangman.
- It is important that you understand that all participants and winners indemnify Cell C and Blink Pictures (PTY) Ltd, its directors, affiliates, members, partners, employees, agents, consultants, suppliers, contractors and sponsors against any loss or damages, either direct, indirect, consequential or otherwise, arising from its participation in Hangman. Prior to awarding any prize, Cell C and Blink Pictures (PTY) Ltd may require you to sign such an indemnity.
- Cell C and/ Blink Pictures (PTY) Ltd may amend, modify or otherwise change these terms and conditions in its sole and absolute discretion on notice to you and the amended version will be displayed in the same media as these terms and conditions. By participating or continuing to participate in Hangman, you agree and understand that you will be bound by the amended terms and conditions.
- All contestants will be held personally liable and responsible for their actions whilst participating in Hangman.
- Cell C and Blink Pictures (PTY) Ltd cannot be held liable for the interception or loss of your personal information while transmitted, stored or processed across the internet, including social media sites and assumes no liability for any such interception or loss.
- All contestants irrevocably grant the producers of Hangman the right to copy, reproduce, make available online or electronically transmit, publish, adapt, distribute, transmit, broadcast, display, sell, license, or otherwise make use of any content for any other purposes which the producers of Hangman may deem fit, in accordance with the appearance release form signed by the contestants.
CAPTAINS OF INDUSTRY. THOUGHT LEADERS. TRAIL BLAZERS.
The Backers have changed the landscape through foresight, innovation and sheer determination. Now they are on the hunt for South African innovators with an obsession to do the same.
Connie Mashaba serves as a managing director of Black Like Me (Pty) Limited and is responsible for strategic planning and management of the business, particularly in the areas of sales and marketing for the local and continental markets. She served as a financial manager at Black Like Me until 1997 when it was sold to Colgate Palmolive before the Mashabas bought it back in 1999. Today, Connie Mashaba has set the company on a solid growth path, merging the business with cosmetics company Amka, driving its market share, and streamlining its operations to strengthen its performance. Mashaba has been an Independent Non-Executive Director at Investec Property Fund Limited. She has a B.Comm and a B.Comm Hons. Degree.
Born to humble beginnings in a rural village in Iran with no running water, no electricity to a family of subsistence farmers Iraj Abedian learnt from a young age that only way to escape that life was to apply himself to his books.
He scored top marks at school and won scholarships which eventually led him to South Africa after the fall of the Shah of Iran. He spent months on horseback travelling through remote Transkei villages to collect data for his master programme on the economics of rural farmers in the 1980's. He quickly ascended the academic ranks culminating in an appointment as Professor of Economics at UCT. Sought after by the Mandela cabinet he was called on to serve in an advisory capacity on the RDP White paper, GEAR and as a member of the President's Advisory Commission. His corporate life saw him serve as the Chief economist for Standard Bank and later founded the Pan African Capital Holdings.
Today he is a celebrity economist sought after for his integrity, his straight talking and his unwavering honesty.
"Success in business is not just about success of an idea it's about the about who else do I need and how quickly can I convert the idea into a business that can get on its feet and then expand it."
Quinton van den Burgh
Quinton always knew he wanted to be a businessman and he started pursuing that dream while at school where he quickly proved his mettle as a salesman. Bored with school, the self confessed ADHD sufferer quit in grade 11 to give flight to those dreams. He hit the ground running selling cell phones out of the boot of his car. His business grew quickly but just as he started tasting success one of his clients disappeared with 12 million rands worth of goods overnight bringing his world crashing down around him.
But Quinton doesn't give up, he took it on the chin and moved on to bigger and better business deals. Today the billionaire is the founder and CEO of Burgh Group Holdings - his business interests extends to coal mining, marketing, media and mining equipment. He is proudly a self made man who defied the odds and never backed down.
"I give enough people opportunities and I give them those opportunities on a daily basis, but I also give them enough rope to hang themselves."
"When you lose, you lose big, when you win, you win big...I don't look at the small things anymore, I look at the big things."
Growing up in a township on the East Rand during the apartheid years, Bonang Mohale is defined by a need to take responsibility - and when his father died in his teens he stepped into the breach to help his mother raise his younger siblings.
Despite the challenges of his home life looked to the black business leaders of the day for inspiration. To emulate their success he forged ahead with his studies during a period of volatile, political turmoil. Determination, hard work, boundless energy and a larger than life personality has seen him make it to the top in the corporate world. Today he is widely viewed as one of the most respected leaders in corporate South Africa having been at the helm of a string of multinational giants including Shell South Africa and Upstream. He remains driven by purpose and a bigger picture world view.
"Coming from a township I knew others were rooting and even praying for me. I realise that others have gone before me to prepare the way."