BREAK THE NET HAS ENDED
Break The Net was the new digital reality show looking for the next YouTube sensation to splash all over the world. You helped us find our winner of a R250 000 fortune and a trip to Hollywood.
Visit our YouTube channel to watch all the video submissions and weekly episodes.
- It is important that you understand and agree to these terms and conditions in order for you to participate in the Cell C #BreakTheNet Competition.
- All standard terms and conditions of Cell C (Pty) Limited and Cell C Service Provider Company (Pty) Limited apply to this Cell C #BreakTheNet Competition.
- This Competition is organised by Blink Pictures (PTY) Ltd and Cell C (Pty) Limited, registration number 1999/007722/07 ("Cell C").
- The Competition is open to Cell C and Non-Cell C subscribers. At the time of entering, all prospective contestant entering #BreakTheNet have to be either:
- A South African citizen who is , currently residing within the Republic of South Africa and who has a valid ID; or
- A non-South African citizen residing within the Republic of South Africa, provided that such individual is legally residing in the Republic of South Africa (and can provide the relevant documentary proof thereof).
- All prospective contestants shall be 18 (eighteen) years or older on the day on which said contestant applies to be a contestant on #BreakTheNet. In the event of the contestant being under the age of 18 (eighteen) years, the consent of the parent and/or legal guardian of the contestant must be expressly provided.
- The #BreakTheNet Competition will run from 00:00:01 on 15 September 2016 to 23:59:01 on 11 December 2016. Entries to participate as a contestant will open from 00:00:01 on 15 September 2016 and close at 23:59:01 on 15 October 2016. The #BreakTheNet reality show will air from 23 October 2016 to 11 December 2016.
- Any prospective contestants who, at the time of entering, have a Youtube Channel registered in their name with more than 5000 followers, are not eligible to enter as a prospective contestant.
- Cell C & Blink Pictures (PTY) Ltd, their employees, officers, directors and agents and any of their respective licensees, assigns, parents, affiliated and subsidiary companies and immediate family (spouse, mother, father, sister, brother, daughter or son, regardless of where they live) or members of their households (whether related or not) of such employees, officers directors and agents are not eligible to be a contestant in #BreakTheNet.
- If a contestant is selected for the top 30, said contestant must submit any further application materials (such as an identity document, passport, and/or any other identification that may be required) upon being requested to do so by the producers of #BreakTheNet.
- In addition, each contestant that is selected for the top 30 will need to submit a video profile piece of no longer than 60 (sixty) seconds in duration, to the producers of #BreakTheNet.
- By applying for participation in #BreakTheNet, the contestant authorises Cell C and/or the producers to conduct civil, criminal, financial history and any other type of background checks that are deemed necessary.
- Cell C and Blink Pictures (PTY) Ltd reserve the right to alter and/or amend the rules of the Competition at their own discretion on notice to contestants. Such altered and/or amended rules shall become effective immediately or on such date as may be determined by Cell C and Blink Pictures (PTY) Ltd. No contestant shall have any recourse against Cell C and Blink Pictures (PTY) Ltd as a result of the alteration or amendment of the rules.
- All costs associated with the production of videos to be submitted by contestants on #BreakTheNet are to be borne by the contestant
- All prospective contestants will only be allowed to upload one video upon attempting to qualify as a contestant on #BreakTheNet.
- The duration of the initial entry video uploaded by a contestant will be limited to 60 seconds.
- The top 30 (thirty) contestants will then be chosen from the videos submitted. These top 30 (thirty) contestants will be chosen according to various criteria and at the discretion of the #BreakTheNet mentors, Cell C and Blink Pictures (PTY) Ltd. Cell C and Blink Pictures (PTY) Ltd undertake to ensure that a registered auditor oversees the top 30 selection process and this will be reported on Cell C's internal audit reporting procedures.
- The top 30 (thirty) contestants will then be given a "task video" to record every second week. These "task videos" can be up to, but not exceeding 3 ½ (three and a half) minutes in duration. Tasks will be announced between 19h00 and 19h20 on the Sunday night show "Derick Watts and the Sunday Night Blues" on the following dates: 23 October 2016; 06 November 2016; 20 November 2016; 27 November 2016 and 4 December 2016. Failure to upload the said "task video" within the 72 hour period prescribed will result in automatic disqualification of the contestant from the competition.
- Contestants must be aware that announcements can be made at any time by the #BreakTheNet production team. The said announcements will be posted on the channel and via push notification. In the event that the contestant misses any of the said announcements, they could lose views for that particular challenge.
- All of the shortlisted 30 (thirty) contestants will be required to film and upload additional footage in the form of:
- A profile clip;
- Weekly ""reaction" clips in response to the results;
- Weekly "behind-the-scenes" clips of task productions;
- Clips for a "view me" campaign (the number of clips is at the discretion of the contestant).
- Contestants cannot promote their material via paid for marketing in any way. We reserve the right to audit results at any time during the process.
- Uploading the clips mentioned in paragraph 8 above is compulsory for all top 30 contestants and is at the discretion of Cell C and the producers to broadcast. The viewing numbers attained by the said clips do not however, contribute in any manner to the final score attained by the contestant.
- The total number of views and shares attained on the task video will determine the winners of the particular task and who proceeds to the next round.
- Accumulated scores will be displayed on the YouTube leader board, but will not count to any task or the final task.
- At the conclusion of each Task, the winner of the specific Task will be chosen, based on the total number of views and shares received by the contestant during the course of that specific Task.
- The total number of views obtained by the top 30 contestants will be reflected on the app "Youtube Views" leaderboard.
- Contestants must be willing and consent to allow the production team to film the contestants for background stories, behind the scenes inserts and any other reasonable filming request deemed to be in the best interests of #BreakTheNet.
- Each contestant will be afforded an opportunity to promote themselves using a "view me" campaign. The "view me" campaign lies with each contestant; each contestant self-promotes and markets themselves across any social media stream.
- Contestants cannot promote their material via paid for marketing, or use any other mechanism to increase their views in an unfair, unethical or illegal manner. Cell C and Blink Pictures (PTY) Ltd reserve the right to audit results at any time during the process, and should we suspect or confirm that a contestant is promoting their material in an unfair, illegal or unethical way, we reserve the right to disqualify the contestant, in our sole discretion.
- Any contestant found to be breaking any of the competition rules will be disqualified.
The Loyalty Program (Effective from 23 October 2016 00:01)
- #BreakTheNet has a Loyalty Program, all points earned within #BreakTheNet will be used exclusively for #BreakTheNet and will not extend across any other Cell C offers.
- The Loyalty Program allows the user to accumulate points for interaction within the Android Mobile application as well as the iOS Mobile application. Only Cell C customers are eligible to earn points and claim rewards on the Loyalty program. Points are accumulated as per the below table:
Action Points Earned Login (once per day) 10 Points View #BreakTheNet Trailer (once off) 20 Points View Video (once per Video) 20 Points Upload Video 250 Points Share Video on Social Media (Once per Video) 50 Points
- A user can claim a reward of 1GB for every 1 000 (one thousand) points accumulated. Only 1 (one) reward can be claimed per user per month.
- Rewards are claimed within the mobile application under MENU "Cell C Rewards" or directly from the #BreakTheNet home screen.
- Cell C reserves the right to discontinue, withdraw or modify the Loyalty Program on notification to the users at any point during the #BreakTheNet competition.
- Only Cell C subscribers are eligible to win the below prizes. Non-Cell C subscribers are eligible to win the tasks and the competition, but they do not qualify for any prizes.
- The Grand Prize is R 250 000.00 (two hundred and fifty thousand Rand only) as well as an all-expenses paid trip to Hollywood (for one person) valued at R50 000.00 (Fifty thousand Rand Only), and the winner will be announced on 11 December 2016.
- The ultimate winner of the Grand Prize is decided upon, taking into consideration the performance of the contestant in the final task, the total number of views on Youtube and the total number of shares of the video on various social media platforms, and will be at the discretion of the producers.
- Task 1 to Task 4 winners will each win a Cell C device prize
- The Task Winners will be decided by taking into account the total number of views on Youtube and the total number of shares of the video on various social media platforms.
- There will be 4 (four) CELL C - EVOLVE 10 INCH LTE TABLET valued at R2 999.00 (two thousand nine hundred and nighty nine Rand only) each.
- The ultimate winner of the Grand Prize and the Task 1 to Task 4 winners will be decided by taking into account the total number of views on Youtube and the total number of shares of the video on various social media platforms. Social shares will be measured when a contestant shares a link to the original Youtube video on qualifying social media platforms. This is done by clicking on the 'share' button under the video on Youtube, or by copying the Youtube link for the video and posting it on the qualifying social media platform. For purposes of accumulating shares during the #BreakTheNet competition, only the following social media platforms will qualify:
- Linked In
- The total number of views of the video will count as 70% of the overall final score, and the total number of video shares will count as 30% towards the overall final score.
- By accepting the prize, you agree that you will be responsible for the all costs, including any taxes, including donations tax, payable to the South African Revenue Services, as a result of you accepting the prize.
- All risks and ownership of the prizes shall pass to winners upon transfer or collection, as well as Cell C's and Blink Pictures (PTY) Ltd obligations in regard to this Competition.
- The trip to Hollywood (for one person), Los Angeles is valued at R50 000 (Fifty thousand Rand Only). Any additional cost incurred over and above this will be for the winner's own account.
- The trip to Hollywood (for one person), Los Angeles includes flights, accommodation and some spending money.
- All passports, Visa, transport, travel insurance, vaccination and travel-related costs will be for the winner's account.
- The trip prize is not transferable and cannot be redeemed for cash.
- The winner indemnifies Cell C, its directors, affiliates, members, partners, employees, agents, consultants, suppliers, contractors and sponsors against any loss or damages, either direct, indirect, consequential or otherwise, arising from their use of #BreakTheNet, the prizes and its benefits.
- Without prejudice to any rights which the producer may have in law, Cell C and the producer reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify any contestant that it determines to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the program, to be found using material which is offensive, defamatory, amounting to hate speech, or illegal (including content which Cell C and the producer deem to be abusive, racist, pornographic and/or which promotes animal cruelty), or to be acting in breach or potential breach of these terms and conditions.
- All decisions made by Cell C and the producer pertaining to all aspects of the program without limitation shall be final and no correspondence shall be entertained.
- The terms and conditions shall be construed, governed and interpreted in accordance with the Laws of the Republic of South Africa.
- Cell C & Blink Pictures (PTY) Ltd, their employees, officers, directors and agents and any of their respective licensees, assigns, parents, affiliated and subsidiary companies will not be held liable for any possible unlawful acts committed by any contestants on #BreakTheNet.
- It is important that you understand that all participants and winners indemnify Cell C and Blink Pictures (PTY) Ltd, its directors, affiliates, members, partners, employees, agents, consultants, suppliers, contractors and sponsors against any loss or damages, either direct, indirect, consequential or otherwise, arising from its participation in this competition. Prior to awarding the prize, Cell C may require you to sign such an indemnity.
- Cell C and/ Blink Pictures (PTY) Ltd may amend, modify or otherwise change these terms and conditions in its sole and absolute discretion on notice to you and the amended version will be displayed in the same media as these terms and conditions. By participating or continuing to participate in #BreakTheNet, you agree and understand that you will be bound by the amended terms and conditions.
- All contestants will be held personally liable and responsible for the uploading of all content whilst participating in #BreakTheNet.
- Cell C and Blink Pictures (PTY) Ltd cannot be held liable for the interception or loss of your personal information while transmitted, stored or processed across the internet, including social media sites and assumes no liability for any such interception or loss.
- All contestants irrevocably grant the producers of #BreakTheNet the right to copy, reproduce, make available online or electronically transmit, publish, adapt, distribute, transmit, broadcast, display, sell, license, or otherwise make use of any content for any other purposes which the producers of #BreaktheNet may deem fit, in accordance with the appearance release form signed by the contestant.
- All videos uploaded by contestants will be moderated and scrutinized by Cell C and the producers of #BreakTheNet. Should any video be found to contain any illegal and/or offensive material amounting to hate speech and/or defamatory in nature (including content which Cell C and the producer deem to be abusive, racist, pornographic and/or which promotes animal cruelty), towards any person or entity, the video will not be used and/or uploaded by the producers of #BreakTheNet. Anyone found to be in breach of this provision will be handed over to the relevant authorities.
- All contestants, upon entering #BreakTheNet, confirm that they have adhered to all terms and conditions and terms of service as required by Youtube, and in accordance with YouTube's community guidelines, both found at https://www.youtube.com.au/t/community_guidelines.
WHAT YOU CAN WIN
If you prove yourself as South Africa's newest YouTube sensation on Break The Net, you'll win R250 000 and an all expenses paid trip to Hollywood! What's more, there are awesome prizes for each of the first four tasks.
Rewarding Viewing (Effective from 23 October 2016 00:01)
If you're more interested in seeing who is going to Break The Net instead of doing all that hard work yourself, earn 1000 reward points for using the Cell C Reality App, and Cell C customers can get 1GB of free data.
|Login (once per day)||10 Points|
|View #BreakTheNet Trailer (once off)||20 Points|
|View Video (once per Video)||20 Points|
|Upload Video||250 Points|
|Share Video on Social Media (Once per Video)||50 Points|
BREAK THE NET FAQS
You can download the updated Cell C Reality app from the App Store or Google Play Store. If you already have the app, you will need to update it to view new content. On 21 October 2016, the Top 30 finalists will be notified.
The Reality Show will run from Sunday 23 October 2016 to 11 December 2016. Finalists will be given weekly challenges or tasks set by Task Master, Wackhead Simpson. In addition to completing and uploading their weekly tasks, contestants will need to make their videos go "viral". After each task, the contestants with the least YouTube views will be eliminated.
Every Sunday night at 7pm, log on to the Cell C Reality App to watch weekly highlights and results with anchor-men, Derick Watts & the Sunday Blues. Celebrity mentors and special guests will be featured regularly on the show. Task winners will each walk away with Cell C device hampers.
The Reality Show will be hosted in the Cell C Reality app and on the Cell C YouTube channel. The Show will be approximately 11 minutes long and will be available for viewing at 7pm every Sunday. Contestants will perform 5 tasks over 8 weeks. The Top 30 contestants will receive notification of Task 1 in episode 1 of the Show on 23 October 2016. Contestants have 72 hours to complete the task, after which the videos will be moderated and uploaded on the Cell C Reality app and YouTube for viewing. The Task videos will be 1 minute long.
The 2nd episode will consist of the highlights from Task 1 and a leader board update on views accumulated by contestants. Episode 3 will be the announcement of results for Task 1, elimination based on the number of views and YouTube shares as well as the announcement of Task 2. The episodes and elimination rounds will be as per the below table.
|Episode||Description||# of Contestants||Date|
|1||Launch & Task 1||Top 30||23 October|
|2||Highlights and leader board update||30th October|
|3||Results & Task 2||Top 15||6 November|
|4||Highlights and leader board update||13 November|
|5||Results & Task 3||Top 10||20 November|
|6||Results & Task 4||Top 5||27 November|
|7||Results & Task 5||Top 3||4 December|
The grand prize winner will be determined by the number of YouTube views for the last Task. The contestant with the highest number of views stands to win the Grand prize of R250 000 plus an all-expenses paid trip to Hollywood. The grand prize winner will be announced in the grand finale on 11 December 2016. Please note that only Cell C customers are eligible to win prizes.
All Cell C and non-Cell C contestants and viewers can earn points for completing different actions. When the user opens the app for the first time, they will opt-in for Cell C Rewards.
Viewers are encouraged to interact with the show via the Cell C Reality app in order to earn loyalty points. You will earn points for viewing and sharing videos on social media. All viewers will earn points but only Cell C customers can redeem their points for data. Cell C viewers can redeem 1 000 points for 1GB of data (limited to 1 x 1GB bundle, every 30 days). Redeeming points for data can only be done within the Cell C Reality app by clicking on "Redeem". Contestants and viewers on other networks will have to switch to Cell C to redeem their points for data.
|Login (per day)||10 Points|
|View #BreakTheNet Trailer (once off)||20 Points|
|View Video (once per Video)||20 Points|
|Upload Video||250 Points|
|Share Video on Social Media (Once per Video)||50 Points|
- The Cell C Reality app is free to download, that means viewers do not have to pay for the app.
- Downloading and updating the Cell C Reality app will incur data charges according to the users standard tariff rates. Perhaps update your app, while in a Wi-Fi hotspot to save on data.
- All data usage when interacting with the Cell C Reality app including; uploading, viewing and sharing videos, will be charged as per the users standard tariff rates.