Cell C contract upgrade FAQs
When you join Cell C as a Contract subscriber, you sign up for a 6,12,18 or 24-month contract with us. Once you have signed up, your subscriber contract can run for a period of 6,12,18 or 24 months, depending on your choice of contract duration. When your contract expires, it becomes due for a renewal. This means that you can now upgrade your device (if applicable) and enter into a new contract.
- Cell C Mobile App > Click on "Profile" and your upgrade date should be shown in your profile
- Cell C Website > Login to Self-Service on www.cellc.co.za and view details on the dashboard
- Self-Service IVR > Call 135; option 1 for "Manage"; option 4 for "Upgrade Eligibility"
- USSD > Dial *147*9# from the cellphone number for which the upgrade query pertains to
- Call 135 > Dial 135 & option 9 to speak to an agent
- End of month 6 on a 6-month contract.
- On month 11 on a 12-month contract.
- On month 16 on an 18-month contract.
- On month 21 on a 24-month contract.
While upgrading, make sure that you inquire about any of our VAS (Value Added Services) such as Itemised Billing, receiving your cellular bill statements via e-mail, data bundles, C Surance or SMS bundles. Please make sure that you read the Terms and Conditions that apply to your contract before you upgrade. You can download a copy of the Terms and Conditions from our website (www.cellc.co.za) or you can get a copy from any of our stores or approved upgrade outlets. Please also ensure that you ask the consultant about any VAS that you may have loaded on your current contract and request removal of those that are no longer applicable to your needs.
- Green bar-coded ID book, Smart ID Card or Passport
- Proof of physical address (such as a lights and water account or retail account which is not older than three (3) months)
If you upgrade at any of our stores or approved upgrade outlets, you will receive your device immediately if the store or outlet has stock of the device that you have chosen. If you upgrade through our call centre (084 145 or 084 143), and we have stock of the device that you have chosen, your phone will be delivered to you within 3-7 working days.
You can use any one of the following methods to upgrade:
- By visiting any Cell C store
- By calling our call centre on 084 143 (free) from your Cell C cellphone.
Please note that you will be required to produce proof of identity prior to upgrading your contract.
If the new contract is set to kick-in at the end of the current contract term, contract benefits will not be forfeited. If the upgrade is immediate you will not be able to carry over available minutes when you upgrade. You will lose any unused airtime, minutes, SMS bundles as well as data bundles that you may currently have available. Therefore, it is important to use your airtime, SMS bundles and data bundles before you upgrade.
There are several benefits to upgrading, including the fact that:
- You receive a new phone of your choice from our wide range.
- You keep your cellphone number.
- There are no lengthy credit checks, especially if you stay on the same tariff plan.
The stores can charge you an administration fee of up to R150 when you upgrade your contract. If the device that you have chosen is not covered by our price plan, you will have to pay in the amount of the cellphone that is not covered by our price plan. However, if you upgrade either through our Call Centre or online, then no upgrade fee is payable.
- Go into any Cell C store.
- You can visit the "Upgrade Deals" section on our website (www.cellc.co.za) to view our upgrade deals and tariff.
- Call 084 143 to find out about our latest deals.